“It is not possible for any thinking person to live in such a society as our own without wanting to change it.”
At Harmless Systems, our goal is to create products that we want to see exist in the world. We only create products that we would use ourselves (and we are a picky bunch.) To help us achieve our goals and to stay the course during rough weather, we have defined a set of core values below.
- We are founded out of a passion for security. While somewhat of an overloaded term in the world of software it is at the forefront of every decision we make.
- You are not a product. If we don’t need it, we don’t request it, transmit it, or store it. We don’t embed advertisements in our products or use tracking software.
- We aim to make our goals and objectives crystal clear, open-source our projects whenever possible, and engage directly with our customers.
- New features, better performance, and lower resource consumption are all important but they can also be in tension with stability. We firmly believe that the ability to rely on our products is of the utmost importance. Stability does not imply stasis. We seek out the best interfaces and platforms for long-term support of our products.
- We put no effort into preventing customers from coming and going as they please. Whenever possible we allow exporting any data we collect or store in a standardized format. Attempting to keep customers by using vendor lock-in strategies is a short-sighted goal that does not align with our values.